Prostate Artery Embolization
Prostatic artery embolization (PAE) is a treatment procedure that is used to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) or prostate enlargement. This is a less invasive treatment option for prostate enlargement. An interventional radiologist performs this procedure with the help of an X-ray which helps him see inside the body without any cuts or incisions.
BPH is a benign (noncancerous) enlargement of the prostate gland. It is the most common benign tumour found in men.
Why do you need prostate artery embolization?
Enlarged prostate leads to partial blockage of the urethra, which can cause the following symptoms
- Increased frequency/urgency to urinate
- Difficulty in urination/Straining
- Increased urination during the night
- A weak stream of urine
- Urinary tract infection
- Blood in urine
- Complete loss of bladder control
These symptoms cause discomfort and it is difficult to lead a normal life for the patient.
If you are suffering from any of these symptoms, book an appointment at our centre where our experts will guide you regarding the best treatment for prostate enlargement.
Patients who do not respond well to medical therapy or who are not candidates for surgical treatment can opt for this procedure.
How is prostate artery embolization performed?
- This procedure is done by an interventional radiologist (IR). Dr Akhil is one of the best interventional radiologists. With a combination of his vast experience and knowledge in this field, he is devoted to providing all his patients with the best treatment.
- In this procedure, the doctor inserts a small catheter (thin tube) into the artery in your wrist or groin. Then the doctor guides this catheter into the vessel that is supplying blood to the prostate. For this, an x-ray is used to locate the artery supplying the prostate.
- After reaching the vessels tiny particles(microspheres)are injected into this vessel through a catheter.
- These particles will reduce the blood supply which will cause the prostate to shrink. This relieves the symptoms and discomfort. Its effect can be seen within a few days after the treatment.
What is the Prostate Artery Embolization Recovery Time?
After the procedure, the patient might experience slight discomfort which is a common side effect of this procedure. For some patients, recovery can take up to two weeks while some patients get back to their normal routine within 3-4 days after the procedure. Some patients also feel urinary discomfort for a few days to weeks after the procedure which gets better with time.
Its recovery time is fast as it is a minimally invasive procedure and patients are discharged on the same day the procedure is done.
Is Prostate Artery Embolization Safe?
According to a study, only one-third of the patients who undergo this treatment suffer from mild side effects like pain, fever, mild bleeding and infection. Major complications or side effects after this treatment is very rare.
Therefore it is a safe treatment option with long term effectiveness.
If you are diagnosed with prostate enlargement and looking for a treatment option with less pain and no cuts, prostate artery embolization treatment is the best option for you.
You can visit our centre and discuss with our experts to know more about this treatment method.